Are Your Rental Properties Covered?

Are Your Rental Properties Covered?

  • 10/10/22
When it comes to real estate, all insurance policies aren’t created equal.
On your primary home, a basic homeowners insurance policy may suffice. But on rental properties, that’s not enough financially or legally.
Do you have rental properties in your investment portfolio? This rundown of four insurance policies is a good start if you want to protect yourself and your property.

Landlord or Rental Property Insurance

There are a couple of different names for these policies, which protect you if your property is damaged due to certain weather events. It should also include liability coverage if your tenant or their guest is injured on the property.

Loss of Income Insurance

While this sounds similar to rent guarantee insurance, loss of income insurance protects you if your property becomes uninhabitable (and you can no longer earn income from it). If that happens, you’ll get paid for some or all of your lost income during that period.

Umbrella Insurance

Umbrella insurance is a popular policy that provides extra protection, filling in the gaps where other policies might fall short. It usually offers additional liability and damage coverage on top of your existing insurance.
Depending on where the property is located, you might also want flood, earthquake, or fire insurance, and you should require tenants to have renters’ and pet policies, too. When renovating or constructing the property, a builder’s risk insurance might also be necessary.
Do you need help finding your next real estate investment? Reach out today.

Work With Michelle

A native of new jersey and relocation expert throughout the state, Michelle's exceptional reputation in the real estate industry comes from her ability to deliver the best service. Contact now!

Follow Michelle on Instagram